Tuesday, March 06, 2007

sacred sanctuary

We live a life truly blessed. God has given us everything that we need. True, we have hurts and scars that leave us empty and alone, and unable to trust. Something stirs in our hearts to grasp something more. We try and shake it, but it remains. We are not what we are called to be.


Our heart aches and we are unsatisfied. The church has failed us, people have failed us.
And we have failed them.


Where is our sanctuary?
Where is our hiding place?

What does the place look like reserved for Christ alone?


I took a look inside my heart, and I realized I did not have much room for Christ. As much as I try being a good person, my heart remains cluttered and unappetizing.


Purification — That is, to cleanse them from all impurities, to perfume, and adorn, and every way prepare them for the king (commentary on the book of Esther)

Esther spent a year in purification in order to be ready for the King. Brides in the old testament were often baptized, before entering a covenant with their new husband.

A book by Lisa Bevere says this:
"She remained in her father's house and made herself ready. If she went out in public, she would wear a veil to signify she already belonged to another. Veiled women were called, set apart, sactified, consecrated, or bought with a price. Her life was tied by a covenant with another. Her beauty was reserved for him."

I was listening to a sermon, and the man was talking about Christ and the Bride. Then he claims that he knows exactly when Christ is coming back!.... (I thought in my head uuuhhh, sorry no you don't!) ...."He's coming back when the bride is ready!"
"And Christ says to God 'Can I go get her now Father?' and God says 'She aint pertty enough yet son, you just have to wait!'"


In the Old Testament the marriage covenant was such a sacred thing; I believe that is why Christ and the bride is paralleled. We must ready ourselves and purify ourselves for Him alone while he prepares a place for us.


Looking at my own life, I realize how much I clutter my sacred sancuatry. I have faithless idols. I see things I shouldn't watch, and I listen to things I shouldn't hear, and I say things I shouldn't say.


God has really been pressing on my heart that whatever is not from Him is darkness. There is no 'in between'. So whenever I let something into my life that is not from Him, even if its a small amount I am letting in darkness.



Where is your heart?

Where should it be?





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home